- Membership of the Society is on the basis of a formal written submission, through the Executive Officer of the Society, using the appropriate Asian Fisheries Society Membership Form.
- Categories of membership.
- Full members shall be individuals who are or have been engaged in fisheries and aquaculture research and development and are interested in furthering the objectives of the Society who either possess appropriate academic qualifications or because of knowledge and experience occupy positions that ordinarily would, in the opinion of Council, require academic qualifications;
- Student members shall be individuals who are studying relevant subjects at the post-secondary level and have not yet completed their award requirements;
- Honorary Membership may be conferred upon an individual by virtue of distinguished professional achievements in a field of fisheries science or meritorious service to the Society. Such membership may be recommended by Council and conferred by approval of a majority two-thirds of the full members present at a General Assembly;
- Sustaining members shall be those companies or organizations which support the objectives of the Society;
- Institutional members shall be those institutions which support the objectives of the Society;
- Patrons shall be those persons who support the objectives of the Society.
- Approval of New Members
- A person who applies for and is approved for membership as provided in these Articles is eligible to be a member of the Society on payment of the entrance fee and annual membership fee prescribed in, or fixed under, Article XXX.
- The Executive Officer shall, with as little delay as possible, notify the applicant, in writing, that he/she has been approved for membership of the Society and shall enter the applicant’s name in a register of members to be kept by the Executive Officer. At each meeting of the Council, the Executive Officer shall notify the Council of the names of the new members who have joined.
- A member of the Society may, at any time, resign from the Society by delivering or sending by post to the Executive Officer a written notice of resignation. At each meeting of the Council, the Executive Officer shall notify the Council of the names of those members who have resigned.
- Upon receipt of a notice under provision 3(c) of this Article, the Executive Officer shall remove the name of the member by whom the notice was given from the register of members, whereupon that member ceases to be member of the Society.
- The Council, at its discretion and upon such terms as it thinks fit, may waive the entrance fee of a member or re-enroll any person who has ceased to be member.
- A right, privilege, or obligation of a person by virtue of his/her membership of the Society;
- is not capable of being transferred or transmitted to another person; and
- terminates upon the cessation of his/her membership, whether by death, resignation, or otherwise.
- Members of the Society shall not be liable to contribute towards the debts and liabilities of the Society, or to the costs, charges and expenses of dissolving the Society.
- Implementation of Annual Dues Payment
During the AFS Triennial General Meeting held in conjunction with the Third Asian Fisheries Forum in Singapore in October 1992, the Council was given a mandate by the members to require annual membership dues. It was agreed that with the growth of the Society, the members should take responsibility for nurturing the Journal and providing financial support.
The Council has decided that beginning 1994, the Society will collect annual membership dues. The dues have been determined by country, based on GNP* -- since the members of the Society come from more than 70 countries and territories which vary in their GNP.
* Please refer to membership categories based on GNP
To facilitate collection, please pay by check (drawn on a US-based bank) in US dollars directly to the Secretariat in Malaysia, (c/o The Executive Officer, Asian Fisheries Society, c/o Laboratory of Marine Biotechnology, Institute of Bioscience, University Putra Malaysia 43400 UPM Serdang, Selangor, Malaysia. Tel: (+60-03) 8947 2216; Fax: (+60-03) 8947 2217; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org ) or pay its equivalent in your local currency to the AFS contact in your country. Payment can be made annually or for any number of years. A discount of 5% and 10% will be given to members who pay in advance for three and six consecutive years, respectively.
Please refer to membership application forms
Payment of annual dues entitles a member to:
- A free subscription to Asian Fisheries Science E-journal
- Special rates for registration to the Asian Fisheries Forum or Branch/Section meetings and meetings of affiliate societies like the World Aquaculture Society (WAS), Malaysian Fisheries Society (MFS) and China Society of Fisheries